We have a lot of needs this holiday season, and we’re so thankful that you’re interested in helping us love and take care of the homeless men, women, and children in our city!
Although our one-time and short-term volunteer needs are already taken care of, there are many other ways that you can help homeless and hurting people this season:
- Donate Items: Collect needed items and donate them to the Mission. We have a huge need for blankets, socks, underwear, coats, and hygiene items (razors, toothbrushes/toothpaste, soap/shampoo). Donations are accepted at our Burnside Shelter 24 hours a day!
- Donate Money: $1.60 provides a hot, nutritious meal. $45 provides a week of shelter for a homeless guest. Any amount will make a huge difference in a hurting person’s life.
- Create a Welcome Pack for Residents: Put together a gift bag with toiletries, socks, a blanket, Bible, etc to welcome incoming residents to our New Life Ministry. If it’s for a man, drop it off at our Burnside Shelter. For a woman or child, drop it off at Shepherd’s Door.
- Tour our Burnside Shelter: Learn how we help homeless people not just during the holidays, but 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call 503-746-9646 to set up an appointment.
- Volunteer Regularly: We are in need of individual and group volunteers to serve once a month or once a week for a year.
- Pack a Care Kit: We’ve all seen people sitting on the side of the road asking for help. Have you tried packing a care kit and keeping it in your car so you’re ready? We encourage you to pack a gallon ziplock bag with items such as socks, granola bars, fruit snacks, crackers, tissues, lip balm, nail clippers, water bottles or gum.
- Spread the Word! Tell others about the many needs that homeless people in our city have this season – and all year long. Tell them about the different ways they can help, and direct them to www.PortlandRescueMission.org if they are interested in getting involved!
- Remember: Smile at, talk to, and encourage any homeless person you see. The love and attention go a long way in making a difference.
Apply as a volunteer HERE!